26 May 2014

The Mortal Instruments: City Of Ashes * Cassandra Clare

The Mortal Instruments: City Of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Haunted by her past, Clary is dragged deeper into New York city's terrifying underworld of demons and Shadowhunters - But can she control her feelings for a boy who will never be hers? 

Clary just wants her life to go back to normal, before she found out that her best friend Simon, is in love with her. Her hear mother is still in a coma. And that her crush is on Jace, who might just be her brother. 

If things couldn't get any worse, there is a strange woman in town that goes by the name of the Inquisitor, who soon decides to pin Valentines show up, on his son Jace Wayland. Jace isn't trusted anywhere, not even by the parents who adopted him and in the same house as Isabelle and Alec. 

Clary's quite happy at the moment besides wanting her life back to normal, she's got Simon back safe and sound and enjoying watching cheesy films with him and talking about comics. But things soon start to go strange when Simon can't stand to watch Nosferatu and goes pale at the sight of blood. Something is seriously wrong. 

Following Simon's incident, Clary soon finds out that her brother has gone missing and goes on the quest to find him as well as Simon. But New York has gotten darker and scarier, and whilst her father is lurking about around town, no one can be safe. 

Luke soon decides to help them all, Jace, Clary and Simon get to Valentine once and for all. But Valentines army will be much stronger than theirs, and once he has the final missing pieces for his puzzle, nothing will stop him raising the most dangerous demons known to man. 

Though when young kids go missing, including Simon and Jace locked up, things start to take a turn for the worse. Much worse to what any of them thought was possible, they need help but no one will come willingly to their side to fight. But Clary wont give up on her best friend and her brother, no matter what the cost or reason behind it, even if that means killing her own father. 

City Of Ashes by Cassandra Clare, is the second instalment in the fantasy book series, The Mortal Instruments. I think this book is much darker than the first, which is City Of Bones, and I love the fact that this one is much darker and more chilling. 

I thought that Cassandra caught the dark side to this book wonderfully and portrayed the characters great. I felt so much for Simon and Jace as they always seem to get the worse end of the stick. Simon the most, and I can tell you that I was shocked many times throughout this book and nearly shed a tear for Simon as I just love his character. He reminds me of a friend I have haha :) Which is lovely. 

Towards the end of the book my expectations went through the roof for Jace for what he did for Simon and his sister, but I won't tell you what that was! I don't usually like watching the film before the books as I like to imagine what the characters would look like. Though I must admit I personally think the actors that we're chosen for the films we're a great choice and I love being able to see who they are in my mind when I'm reading them. 

I'm really happy that the book is much darker as I feel it reflects on both Clary and Jace's lives and up bringing so far. I liked that Luke was in this book more as well cause I just love his character and how he is with Clary, Simon and Jace. 

However I do think that it did run a bit slow in places and I just wanted it to sometimes get to the point and the good stuff! I also wonder how they are going to make this into a film, as I cannot for the life of me see how they are going to make it! But, we shall soon see when it is due to be released! I hope it lives up to the book. 

(Also, I am terribly sorry on how late this book review is, I finished reading it about a few weeks ago but never got round to it, so I apologise if the review isn't much up to it's potential!)

I will give this book 5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment